Happy Holidays! I thought you might enjoy pondering my list of 2-dozen ways to make 2012 better, while you’re celebrating with friends & family and eating leftover Tofurkey. Hope this is useful:
1. Make NO New Years Resolutions. Instead make intelligent choices. You already have a mission, your impossible dream, commit to that for 2012.
2. Turn Off The News! Really, it’s the worst form of hypnotic poison and the most embarrassing product of the entertainment industry. Say good-by to Wolf, Anderson, Storm, Erin, Piers, Forrest and all the other talking heads with funny names. Allow others to gather around the TV and get stoned on the drama while you respectfully step away and return to your studio, office or creative space. You’re an artist, an entrepreneur! You have your own drama unfolding right in front of you; Your Art! Your Company! Your Project! And don’t worry about “staying informed,” if something critical happens you’ll rush to the TV for the latest info.
3. Re-Connect With Your Confidence. Confidence Is everything. It trumps experience, rivals talent and beats the beans out of a good education. Re-read my blog “Confidence Is Everything” http://bit.ly/qXc9JY.
4. Get Real Healthy And Stay There. Exercise everyday and drink more (lemon) water. Plus, practice “Equipoise.” Remain equally balanced with your mind, body and spirit.
5. Don’t Immediately React to every digital poke, don’t answer every text right away and don’t automatically jump at every FB friend request. And while you’re at it, turn off the alert to your emails too. You’ll be amazed at how much more time you’ll have to spend on your art and your biz.
6. DON’T FAKE IT! Keep your word. Become a count-on-able person.
People are attracted to the truth, especially these digital days when everything is so transparent. If you speak the truth in your art, music, business, writing, etc. your fans and customers will follow you, support your mission and join your tribe. If you try to “hype” it you’ll lose them forever.
7. READ At Least 5-BOOKS In 2012: You can handle that, right?
Good books contain a treasure of inspiring, intelligent knowledge from so many selfless, brilliant experts. Check out my personal bookshelf for some titles that have moved my world. http://bit.ly/uLMviZ.
8. Help Others Triumph: Give more of yourself—yes, especially in these tough times. Your listening, time, money, art, contacts, coaching, empathy, etc. could easily change someone’s life forever. Giving and receiving are different aspects of the same energy. And in our willingness to give that which we seek, we keep that energy circulating in our lives. Make sense?
9. Transform Your Goals from possible to IMPOSSIBLE! Make them outrageously HUGE! In my world, a dream is not worth it unless it’s impossible. Because in my world, ANYTHING is possible!
10. Detachment: Remain detached from the outcome: You’re an artist and unlike others, you are privileged to have a stream of ideas & possibilities constantly flowing through you. In detachment lies the wisdom of “uncertainty.” And in the wisdom of uncertainty lies the freedom from our past, from “Certainty,” which for an artist or entrepreneur is the worst kind of prison. Kapeesh? Re-read my 1-minute blog “Uncertainty” http://bit.ly/rYYpIf.
11. Keep Your Boots Muddy. Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice! Do the work and get your 10,000 hours in. If you don’t know what that means read Malcolm Gladwells book “Outliers” http://amzn.to/sucy8A
12. Join My Tribe. It’s free & easy: http://bit.ly/sB7dof
13. Grow Your Tribe and invite me to join. Whether you’re an artist or entrepreneur or both, if you want to make a decent living at this you’re going to need a tribe, a fan base and a following. Watch this Seth Godin video on “tribes” http://bit.ly/uyu0eH.
14. Become A “Fact” Freak NOT A Gossip Whore: Avoid the virus of gossip, hearsay, rumor and scuttlebutt. And don’t spread the virus of gossip, heresy, rumor and scuttlebutt. REACT to the FACTS!
15. Improve Your Computer/Tech Skills. There’s no excuse. Today’s learning curves are much shorter and the technology is much easier to learn. You’re smart, you can do this.
16. Make Up Your Own Prayer to who ever you call God—then say it every morning.
17. Don’t Worry About The Economy, it’s out of your control. Just make intelligent choices regarding your spending, reduce your debt, and re-read #2.
18. Watch Your Words. Be vigilant what you say to people and how you say it—especially with short people under 12. Your words are soooo powerful!
19. Shhhhh…Listen more…
20. Avoid Angry, Abusive Energy, plus people, movies, books, TV etc. Why absorb that negative energy into your system? You’re an artist, you already have plenty of mixed-up, crazy, kinky energy bubbling up inside you!
21. Prepare For Battle! The 3-heartless enemies of every artist and entrepreneur are waiting to take you on every day: Procrastination, Distraction and Doubt. When you hear the bell, come out swinging!
22. Re-Think Karma. No debt in the universe EVER goes unpaid! “Every action generates a force of energy that returns to us in like kind…what we sow is what we reap. And when we choose actions that bring happiness and success to others, the fruit of our karma is happiness and success.” —Deepak Chopra
23. Don’t Do Anything Stupid! You’re an artist, an entrepreneur, although it’s a tough row to hoe, it’s nevertheless the only life for you. Don’t screw it up!
24. Hire Me for a 1-shot consult. If you do, I promise you won’t regret it. If you don’t you’ll always be wondering. http://bit.ly/rsAXjI.
Meditate! Learn to tame the beast between your ears. I’ve said it a million times, I began meditating daily in 1985 and the balance I’ve found in my life between the hoopla of rock & roll and the silence of my soul is astounding. I’m not sure who I would be without this one simple practice in my life. If you’re a member of my tribe I’ll be glad to send you my personal guide to a simple meditation practice. Just drop me a note: email@example.com. Again, you must be a member of my tribe (see #12)
Happy, Happy Holidays Great Readers! And remember, don’t do anything stupid!