The beginning of the year always feels exhilarating. It provokes excitement and enthusiasm for a future that could be—that will be. It also wakes up that crazy inner voice that insists, “this year is going to be better.” That said, here are 6 reminders to help make 2016 better:
1) The “Internet of Everything” is here: Upgrade your digital world—it’s a wise investment. Everything is now mobile, portable and global, and it’s not going to stop—it’s not even going to slow down. Don’t break the bank! However be sure you have the best tech-tools you can afford, including phones, pads, laptops, apps, software, etc.
2) Strengthen your base: I’ve said this many times: “Content may be king, but community holds the keys to the kingdom.” We live in a “direct to customer” world, and if you want to expand your empire you must incessantly grow your tribe, and consistently interact and engage with your fans, clients and customers. It’s an intelligent investment of your time.
3) Don’t freak out about money: Just make sensible choices and decisions regarding your resources, whether you have a lot or a little. Be smart enough to avoid spontaneous, emotional spending, and courageous enough to jump on wise investment opportunities when they come your way. Also, be sure to reread my 13-second “Money Seminar.”
4) Commitment is EVERYTHING: Doesn’t matter if you’re a fledgling songwriter or the CEO of a mega-corp. The commitment to “get there” is your first priority—HOW you’re going to do it is second. To the degree you are ruthlessly committed to achieving your biggest goals, to that degree you will achieve them. Not like “positive thinking,” more like a well-built foundation to stand on.
5) New Year resolutions? Instead make intelligent daily resolutions. You already have a project, a goal, a mission, a plan, or an idea bouncing around between your ears. Commit to working on that every single day of 2016!
6) Don’t Do Anything Stupid! You’re an artist, an entrepreneur—an independent, crazy, creative genius! I know it can be tough, however, it’s a GREAT life, and the only life for you! Don’t screw it up!